Thursday 15 January 2009

Delhi to Chandigarh

Sunday morning bright and early off to the main railway station to buy a ticket to Chandigarh - this is the next station up the track from Ambala, but with more opportunity to find a hotel. Ambala is only 45KM taxi ride away.
The railway station was teeming with people and after finding the ticket office I handed over a slip of paper with the train name and number along with my required destination. I was somewhat amazed when she asked me for 77 Rupees (about 1-10 in pounds) but didn't question it as the ticket had the required destination on.
The train was over an hour late - and turned up on the wrong platform too. It took me three attempts to board it, first there was a huge fight as people tried to get on one carriage, the next one I got on only to be told it was the wrong one for my ticket. Finally getting on in the cattle section - about 400 people in a carriage built for 72! Two elderly gentlemen saw I was confused and beckoned me to share their seat (bench of wood). We got talking and I told them of my plans, it turns out one of them was an ex-Army guy, a Major of the Indian Army who likes to investigate the military. We exchanged cards and he asked that I send him some information when I got home and he would try to find out what he could. That was an amazing chance meeting, in a train of over 25 carriages, I sit next to someone like that!
The journey took forever and was a real nightmare, however the people were very nice, sharing drinks, sweets and bread around - including me in the round too!
We stopped for a little while in Ambala station as the engine was changed, it gave me a bit of time to absorb the place. I do admit that it sort of got to me a little, being in the place where my Grand-father was born. However, this would have to wait until tomorrow and a visit proper.

No comments: