Friday 16 January 2009

Friday, so up to date for a while

Overnight hotel in Agra looked pretty good from the outside - and first impressions of inside too! However, the service was a bit ropey, not to mention the amenities - hot water was through an individual immersion heater in each room - above the bath with the switch on inside of bathroom wall - if that wasn't enough to set the alarm bells ringing then nothing was. But too late, I'd already agreed and paid for the night.
Trying to use the shower was when my problems started, the heater had been wired by one of the many monkeys I'd seen running about (they're the main source of road-kill here) I think. When I finally managed to figure out how to get hot water I got my first shock - literally!
Off down to reception to complain and duty manager and a stooge with screwdriver and spanner arrived in a few minutes.
After much banging and shouting, then mopping of the floor they announced it was ok to use. I asked for a demo - the manager forced his lackey to test it, he seemed ok so I tried, the taps were no longer live.
Off they went and I jumped in to take a shower, turned water on and had to move shower head to catch the flow - bang! the next shock!
Got a further one when trying the hand-basin taps too so turned all the lecky off and decided on a cold strip wash and dry shave (with a wet razor - no fun there, my skin has softened up recently).
Not to worry - I'm still here to tell the tale, and if nothing went wrong I'd have no material for the blog. (It's ok Caroline, it didn't hurt, had higher voltages than that through me)
Did leave the hotel with a flea in their ear though, told them in no uncertain terms what they should do - never got me a refund, though I didn't really expect one - this is India remember, all they're interested in is your money.
Trip to Lucknow took about 6 hours - 400+ Km from Agra, and am shattered now I'm here.
Have ventured out into the outdoors, but not done any serious looking until tomorrow - a bit of Delhi-belly now ha ha!
Watch this space for tomorrows revelation!

No comments: