Tuesday 6 January 2009

Well, it’s finally here – tomorrow morning bright and early I set out on my own trip of a lifetime. It never seemed possible last summer when the seeds of an idea materialised yet here I am, on the eve of the first leg waiting with a mixture of apprehension, excitement and eagerness to start.
Heathrow airport beckons and the flight leaves at 10:05am UK time, landing in Mumbai at 00:30 local time which is 7:00pm in the UK. All the packing is now complete, the dog has gone off on his holidays to my mothers, arrangements made for the cat and hamsters.
I must admit that the last few days since the new year (where my youngest, Shana celebrated becoming a teenager on new years day) have dragged somewhat as I wait for the off.
I did get a little worried on Saturday as we had arranged an ice-skating trip for Shana as a birthday treat and, as a skating novice the thought of travelling with broken limbs etc wasn’t a happy one. In the end I was able to sneak off the ice after about 45 minutes and two pretty hefty tumbles, and take refuge in the cafeteria without anyone complaining.
My girlfriend Caroline is also off tomorrow on a holiday to Egypt so there is a lot happening at the same time – she flies from Gatwick about an hour before me and we have promised each other that we’ll wave at every other plane we see in case we pass each other. After the unrest in Gaza, she is understandably a little worried about her own trip (not to mention mine!) but her destination is quite a distance from the Egypt/Gaza border so there shouldn’t be any disruption to her plans or enjoyment. I do hope so as she deserves some relaxation after her busy Christmas and new year. I have to thank her and all her family especially for making mine and Shana’s Christmas and new year/birthday so special and for welcoming us both with open arms. It was most appreciated and I was close to tears on more than one occasion during the holiday break. I love you all and will be thinking of you during my time away – especially you Caroline, you have made me smile again in the few short months we have known each other and I look forward to the future with a happy heart.
That’s all for the moment, the next entry will probably be from Mumbai railway station so keep a look-out for more activity.

No comments: