Saturday 10 July 2010

Back to the future

A week has passed since the last post and I've been pretty busy. I pick my grandson Zander up from nursery on a Thursday evening now as my daughter Louise is back at work after her maternity leave. It's so strange how, after raising your own kids for n years you feel so self-conscious and under scrutiny from your children when you look after their kids! Louise called me about an hour in to check I and he were ok.
I think she trusts me!

We had a great time, he is eight months old now and recognises people and things around him, and as Louise and Will, her partner, have moved into a new place Zander has plenty of room to speed around in his walker, and does he!

Well, back from my future to my past, I have revisited Pop's family and had a breakthrough, his brother George was recorded as George 'F' on the 1901 census, so, going back to basics I went to the earliest records which were the army births records. Lo and behold, his middle name wasn't starting with an 'F', but was Douglas! Visiting the 1901 census image I can see where the mistake was made. The 'D' was taken as a 'ditto' to the entry above which was Dorothy F (Frances) and just transposed. An easy mistake, but such problems it can cause.

From this I have managed to find George's death which was in 1938, so he was only about 42 when he died. Going back, and knowing he died in the Macclesfield area I have now managed to find his marriage (to May Elkin) in 1918 - it must have been at the end of the war. Also the birth of what I think was their only child in 1921, notably one Audrey M Essex. I think the middle name was May after her mother.
Delving ever deeper I have managed to locate a marriage for Audrey, to Eric Holdsworth (sounds like I ought to be starring in Corrie now!) in 1941, and also a child by the pair, Patricia A Holdsworth born in 1947, so if she is still alive she would be 62/63 so it's very possible. I'm unable at this time to find a marriage for her, there are a few with that name but the locations don't fit yet. I need more information on what happened to the family first.
One odd finding was a death for both Audrey and Eric - if it is the same couple Audrey May Holdsworths' death was recorded in South Warwickshire in 1985 (the age etc all fits) and Eric in 1987, also in South Warwickshire. If it is the same couple why did they move from the Macclesfield area, and why did they return to the area where Levi Essex originated? It gets more intriguing all the time!
Next week sees the Tearle meet in Stanbridge, I won't find any of these answers there though other questions will be on my mind. Like what happened to all Fanny Tearles' siblings? Also I'd love to find out how to find James Tearles' army or navy records (I have been told he was in the marines).
Tuesday this week will, I hope, be spent in Warwick, I need to bottom out the Audrey and Eric issue and see if I can find out who reported the deaths, and also to try to find exactly who Levi Essex comes from. At the moment it is all conjecture from other genealogy enthusiasts on the web. It will be interesting to try to find out.

No comments: