Thursday 22 January 2009

The final leg!

This is such a lovely clean place - quite the fillip after the dirt and degradation of India.
Spent 18 hours solidly asleep after the overnight from Mumbai and then trekking around the city with my back-pack on. Must have been exhausted.
Up at noon with renewed vigour, not finished here yet - back into the city and looking around the Asian museum - well, you never know! Nothing there so asked at the desk, they put me on the trrail of the tourist info centre, this was quite a walk - they all use busses and the metro. Found reference to a naval museum on the north of the island - where the old naval docks used to be. The girl on the info desk was pretty helpful too, she googled what I'd told her and got pretty excited when she found something - it happened to be my blog though, I almost felt sorry for her with the look on her face when I told her it was mine - she did give me the address of the museum though, opening times and directions to get there, so off I set on the metro, then a bus, then a 10 minute walk, the whole journey took about an hour. When I arrived I'd been told to report to the gate-house for a pass, as it's still a naval establishment. The guard was astonished I'd been sent there as the museum had closed pending a move last August, and hadn't re-opened in it's new location yet.
So, back to the city centre to take in the sights - met up with the Aussie I'd spoken to the day before, he was interested to know if I'd found anything. Nice he remembered me and made the effort to speak.
Back at the airport now, it's 5.50am local time, and looking to the last leg of the trip, Colaba area of Mumbai and the final resting place of Frances Jane Essex!

1 comment:

Kevin N said...

Hey buddy -I'm about 1/2 hour behind your post. Still in Oxford and keeping up to date with your trail. Unfortunate that Singapore yielded little in your quest. Stay positive!

Will raise a drink tomorrow night (you'll be sleeping I guess??)

Have a good trip back to Mumbai. Stay safe. Kevin