Wednesday 21 January 2009

Singapore

Wednesday,
Sitting in an internet cafe in uptown Singapore - Chinatown - it's a bit un-nerving, been accosted by pimps and their girls (if they are that!). But, needs must, was the only type of hotel I could afford in this upmarket city.
It's the sort of place where you could blow a lottery win within a number of weeks - and I mean the jackpot win! It's a shoppers paradise, all the designer shops are here - then some more. A lot of these are underground, mainly due to the heat I suppose - 40 Deg today and it's winter here!
Arrived after overnight flight from Mumbai and what a difference, no smog!!!! I can breathe again. Also it's so clean, they really take a pride in their city here, all the while sweeping or washing down the streets.
Went straight to the dock area to continue my quest and find the whole area has been redeveloped over the last ten years or so, and all the waterfront is occupied by commercial buildings - except one which is an old(ish) hotel - The Fullerton. This also has been refurbished during the recent past so nothing I could find there. The only other hotel of note is Raffles, this is a sprawling building with at least three major entrances. It also has it's own museum, but all of it is dedicated to the hotel itself. I did ask the curator, but no joy there either. She also couldn't think of any other places I could try. Never stopped me wandering around though, and I came across an Irish Bar called Durty Nelly's (well, they call it that anyway) it was kept by a Malaysian, so I don't know what the connection to the Emerald Isle was.
Guinness at S$12.00 (about eight quid!) a pint, and no Jamesons!
The bartender was interested in why I was there but couldn't help either.
The Guinness went down a treat - the first proper drink of the campaign! Just as I was leaving I noticed a photograph in a cabinet in the resturant area. It was a boxer - but not Pop! Not to leave empty handed though, I got permission to stand on a high stool and photograph it.
So the trail goes cold here - I think I'm probably about 15 years too late.
I really need to pull my Great Grandmother's location out of the bag, to get a draw as Asia is winning 2-1 at the moment.
Will give the city another try tomorrow - after I've caught up with some shut-eye.
Then it's back to the noise and dirt of Mumbai........
Til the next time
Adios

5 comments:

glasgowlass said...

am enjoying reading up on your adventures although have to catch up from home as shop is really busy hope you find what your looking for will stay posted.
Angela

Unknown said...

Hi, do I know you or have you just picked up on this? The name doesn't ring any bells.

Unknown said...

It's just cottoned you may be the girl in the Info centre in Singapore?

glasgowlass said...

Hi no sadly not!!
I would love to be in singapore but unfotunatley just in a little travel shop in desborough !!!
lol x

Unknown said...

Sorry, it just didn't register with the pseudonym!