Friday 16 January 2009

On I go

Please note this is being updated retrospectively from my notes:
Really on a high after Ambala, though I have had a few problems. Have managed to screw up my netbook, so am having to rely on hotel hospitality. Have also lost my photos of Ambala town, though thankfully not the ones of the baptism book, phew!
Taxi took me from Ambala to Chandigarh airport to catch what I thought would be a simple flight to Lucknow! Now I know what they mean about the Indians - They will tell you what they think you want to know rather than the truth. Over the last two days I'd been pestering hotel manager to check on flights to Lucknow, he always said he'd look and never did (I think). It turns out there are no scheduled flughts to there from here - so I have to go back to Delhi and catch one from there. Well, no worries! Plane delayed by hour and a half, so no different to trains there then! On arrival in Delhi I found I had missed the last connecting flight and was told the next was in the morning, the price shocked me though, 8,625 Rupees, Mumbai to Delhi had been 3250, while Chandigarh to Delhi only 2625. Lucknow is further than Chandigarh, but nowhere near as far as Mumbai so I don't know how they justify that.
Decided on hotel room while planning next move, one just across the way from airport, and one of the cheaper ones I'd stayed at.
Taxi company inside so I enquired about cost of overland trip, manages to get hire of taxi and driver for 5 days for less than 300 quid, after air fare both ways and taxis & hassle I thought it a fair price. Also will be able to take in some sightseeing along the way.
Off to bed feeling rather smug about the whole day.
p.s. Flip, I know you're reading now from you're emails, the Rev. Bhatty has promised to email you to let you know we found it.
Take care all.

No comments: