Thursday 15 January 2009

Tuesday 13th Jan

Went back to Ambala today, and visited the Rev. Bhatty again. The 'church' was all shut up - I thought he'd done a runner and didn't want to see me!
After a couple of minutes he appeared and led me to a small outbuilding. It had the appearance of a mall stable, inside there was a large square table and a patio chair. On this table were a number of old record books, big things. The one on top had a bookmark inside and the Rev opened it at this page. The bookmark was the copy of Pop's birth certificate I had left with him the previous day. The look on his face was not good though, he pointed at an entry and advised that was the nearest he could find - it was a Harry Richard rather than what I was looking for - Harry Edward. My heart sank, and so did my eyes - only to light upon an entry hidden in the crease of the book, all I could see was 'Frances Jane' and '18th Hussars', my heart was in my mouth as I prised open the tome, to reveal what I'd been looking for, so I'm now the proud owner of a photograph of the entry of baptism for my Grand-father Harry Edward Essex, dated 13th December 1893, Umballa (the British Army's fault), Signed by the Chaplain Wm Long.
What a result!

1 comment:

Kevin N said...

What a result indeed! Nice 1 Rich. You must be thrilled.

Well done.