Saturday 24 January 2009

Told what you want to hear

Well, have spent all day Saturday trudging around Colaba and the surrounding area - it seems the cemetery I'm looking for is inside the naval base, and this is a restricted area which no-one I talk to seems to be able to tell me about. I also don't have a clue who to contact for this. So, my last resort on Monday will be to contact the UK Consulate - I have their telephone number.
There is one more thorn in this, Monday is a public holiday and I just hope the consulate is not governed by the local rules and sticks to UK holiday dates.
I did get to talk to what appeared a helpful local, he was a taxi driver-cum guide. He took me to what he thought I weas looking for, a cemetery near the local hospital, but the earliest marker I could find was from 1940, when asked he said it dated back to 1938 and I told him that I was looking for one dated 1897 he changed his mind and stated it went back that far - that's the Indian mentality kicking in again - telling you what they think you want to hear!
Another thing I have discovered, even in a metropolis as vast as this, the locals are just that - local to their own little area, take them outside the (probable) one square mile or so they live in and they haven't a clue where they are or where anything else is. I think this is the crux of why I am finding getting directions so difficult - I have to somehow get to within spitting distance of where I want, then ask.
Sunday tomorrow so am going to have a day of rest - have a busy time when I get home!

No comments: