Sunday 25 January 2009

Dead end street

Just couldn't let it rest - I was determined that today and tomorrow (which is a holiday here) wouldn't go to waste. Finally found the entrance to the Navy docks - there are two, one for vehicles, the other for people on foot. Today I took a copy of Frances Essex's death certificate to aid me in getting through the language barrier. The guard on the gate took it away, then came back and made a phone call - this was all in Hindi so I've no idea what he was saying, though I did hear him mention the European cemetery.
Her disappeared again then came back a few more minutes later and beckoned me to follow him. I thought my luck was finally in - no chance! He directed me to a church across the street and told me to go there. He said there is no cemetery in the navy docks. Well I could hardly argue with him! He had an oppo with an AK47 strapped across his chest! The church was closed so I have to go back at 6pm.

This is a country of over 1.1 billion people, and over 16 million of them live in Mumbai, that's without counting the tourists (Indian as well as foreign), so imagine my surprise to bump into someone I knew just up the road from Leopolds (the cafe attacked in the 26/11 terrorist raid),. The strangest thing is, his brother messaged me on facebook before I got here saying to look out for him! I never in a million years expected to though - just goes to show how small the world has become!

No comments: