Saturday 29 August 2009

Epilogue

It's now over seven months since I returned from India. I have written to the military museum in Singapore who have responded telling me to look around the hotels in the harbour area. As this is what I did (and told them so) in the first place, I thought it was pretty bloody useless of them. A bit of a laugh really as I told them I'd visited and was now back in the UK!
I have kept in contact with the church in Mumbai, though they haven't been able to locate any clues as to the last resting place of my Gt Grandmother. The sad thing is that they are now turning out to be just the same as all the other Indians I met - just after my money. I now keep getting emails asking for donations.
One thing I have managed to find out, the ex-navy graveyard in Colaba area was closed in 1864 (30-odd years before Frances died) and has since been cleared for a childrens play area - No wonder no-one knew anything about it. The saddest thing is, the document I found on the internet stating this was downloaded by myself BEFORE the trip, I just hadn't had time to read it!
The ex-Army man I met on the train to New Delhi hasn't returned my letter either. So much for being helpful.
I have searched the internet and have found loads of references to the "Largest cemetery in Asia", thing is, there's loads of them, and none seem to be anywhere near Mumbai!
One thing I won't be doing is returning to the Taj Mahal with my special lady, we are no longer an item. The relationship couldn't stand the test of time (and family!) so I'm single again now - probably why I have found the time to update this blog again.
My search is by no way complete though. I have started to scan the online census files for further information.
More will follow if I unearth any revelations!
Bye for now


No comments: