Monday 26 January 2009

The end of the line

Went back to the church at 6pm only to find the sermon had already started and needed to return again at around 7.30. Duly obliged and was back sitting on the steps as the main doors opened. I'm not certain what branch of christianity it is, but it's called the church of St Andrew and Columba (Scottish Kirk) according to the sign, the congregation was all Indian and the whole place gave an evangelical feel.
The pastor confirmed what the navy guard had said, he had no knowledge of any local cemetery, the only one he knew of that was in use at the time Frances expired was one in a place I think he called Shiva, which, according to him is about 25 minutes outside Mumbai.
He also said it's the largest graveyard in Asia, and the second largest in the world.
Picking my way around that would take a month of Sundays, so I decided to take him up on the offer of doing some investigating for me and then emailing me the results.
It's not my idea of the ideal solution, but needs must!
I have left him with a copy of the death certificate and he has my email address on the back, if anything comes of it I shall put an addendum to this blog.
While dabbling on google I found another reference, this time to a graveyard by the meteorlogical observatory in Colaba, this is about half a mile down from the navy docks - I'd remembered where it was from the other day - so, not to leave any stone unturned, I decided that was my next objective - just to satisfy myself I'd done all I could.
The walk was more pleasant today, the humidity was slightly lower and a slight breeze, the result of the search was the same though - no cemetery there either.
It would appear all the google/wikepedia entries are incorrect - there doesn't appear to be hide nor hair of a burial plot in the whole area.
So. my work here is done, it's not the ending I'd hoped for, but at least I can say I've given it my best shot - and I still have two potential leads with the retired major and the pastor, so all is not lost.
Love to you all and I'll be back in your midst before you know it.
Signing off now.
Rich_India

No comments: